Saturday, April 23, 2016

Special Kids 15k

There is a race that is only about 40-45 minutes away that is very dear to my heart. The race is Special Kids. I enjoy doing this race because it is a very fun race and goes to a good cause. Special Kids is an organization that helps families with special needs. They have the option to run a 5k or 15k. I chose to do the 15k since I would be doing a half marathon two weeks after this race.

I know that I have talked about my I Run 4 buddy that has Down Syndrome. He is one of the sweetest little boys and just seeing the pics that his momma posts brightens my day so very much. His family has become like family to me and I honestly don't remember what it was like to run without having him as my buddy. (If you would like to have a buddy to run for, I will have the info listed at the end of this blog post.)

When I registered for this race, I contacted the race director to see if I could get one for him. I was so excited that he said yes. Now all I had to do was wait for March 19 to get here. It seemed to take forever. Race packet pickup was the Thursday and Friday before the race. Since we had plans on Friday, I got my race packet Thursday and went ahead and picked up my buddy's medal. 

After getting home from seeing a play at a church in our town, we got everyone in bed. Even thinking back now, I am still surprised that we made it in time for me to actually race. We were running so far behind that by the time we got to the race site and parked, we had like 5 minutes before the race started. On top of everything else, I had to pee and didn't have time to go. Talk about being a rough start to the race.

I met up with my friends Joyce and Lynn at the start line. We decided to take a pre-race selfie before we started. 


Not long after this pic was taken we were off.  Another thing I enjoy about this race is it is relatively flat. I didn't have a particular time that I wanted to finish in. I was there to enjoy the race. It probably took the first couple miles before it wasn't congested anymore and the runners were finally breaking up into their pace groups sort of speak.

Along the course, there were families of those that the organization helps. Not as many as in the past because it was chilly that morning. I always love seeing people lined up on the course. It is such a great motivation to keep going because it is all about the kids.

There was several times during the race when I looked at my phone and realized that I was going faster than what I was use to. I was starting to psych myself out. I eventually quit looking at my phone as often. 

Before I started I told my husband around what time I was going to finish. It was around mile 7 after we had gone through a neighborhood that had a few small hills that I would be finishing well above what I told him I would. So I ended up texting him while I was running and letting him know how many miles I had left. That was a sight to see andabout as hard as textingwhile driving.

I was beginning to struggle a little around mile 8 and I was thinking about my buddy. Then I saw a guy with arm crutches walking the 5k and he was only at mile 1. Just as happy as can be so I knew I had to finish strong for my buddy, my family and all those that would love to run but can't. 

The last song that I had come on was a song that I do in Zumba where you do a lot of squats. So turning that last corner I couldn't help but be thankful that I wasn't squatting. Lol I think it is funny how each individual person has their own way of getting through a run when it gets difficult.


Not exactly the best picture but I didn't know where he was and it was crowded when I crossed the finish line so this is the best pic I got. My official time was 1:26:33!! I 3 1/2 minute PR from Hot Chocolate. I was very pleased and had a great run. I would definitely recommend this race to everyone. 

As promised, here is the info to sign up to have a buddy like I do. You will need to go to http://www.whoirun4.com and use the drop down menu. Click I Run 4 Michael. There you will find all the info Tha you need to be matched with a buddy. Please feel free to pass this info along to other athletes and those with special needs that would like to have a buddy as well. 

So until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment